About the Property
Heritage Springs consists of 17.4 acres of rolling pasture with a fenced paddock and a spacious pole barn with stalls and tack. It is surrounded by French-style gardens, a vintage apple orchard, and mature trees. The house retains the charm, refinement, and quality of this era. At 4450 square feet, it has ample space for living, entertaining, and private time. Original period features have been retained including heart pine floors, six-foot double hung windows, ten-inch fluted baseboards and trim, and a floor to ceiling walk-out pocket window to the front porch. A central foyer leads to 15 ft X 17 ft main floor library, parlor, and dining room. An L stair and landing access three equivalent-sized bedrooms and half bath. An updated kitchen with quartz countertops and large twin windows has a door that leads to a covered back porch. The porch is overlooking gardens and is ideal for your breakfast or morning coffee. There is also a fully finished 1400 square foot lower living space with full bath and kitchen. The space includes ground level walkout access through French doors and interior access stairs to offer many uses and possibilities.
The home was built by one of the most prominent landowners in the Amissville area. It was the “home place” for significant acreage going to the Rappahannock River to the north. The property itself sits on a high ridge that overlooks the County to the Blue Ridge Mountains westward. Waterford Road, the early road from Warrenton to the east, crosses the Rappahannock River and climbs in a series of steps to the property which, because of its springs, became a logical resting point for travelers and their horses. This continued through the Civil War as testified by many relics found on the property. General George Custer reportedly had his headquarters for a time in the small house across the road and the site, due to its vantage overlooking the land westward, was likely a common post for units of both Armies.
The home was built in the 1880s with many touches highlighting the prosperous status of the owner. These include large pane windows, interior trim details, and heart pine floors. Two primary brick chimneys (now lined) provide outlets for heating stoves in three additional rooms. All hearths and mantles are original and locally manufactured. A past fire required the kitchen to be rebuilt but not to its original size. In the 1970s when Lee Highway was expanded the house has moved 500 feet to its present location. (The move precluded the home from being considered for submission as a registered historic property.) The present owners have taken great care in restoring the home while making it convenient for modern living. The original features of the home have been maintained, reinstalled or replicated. The original wood lathe, horse hair plastering of the main house remains, wood shutters are in place, and leaded stained glass designed and crafted by the owner, a local artisan is predominantly featured.
- Built 1870
- Main Floor Bedroom: No
- Basement: Yes
- HOA: No
|2 Full, 1 Half